- 1,752 enforced disappearance complaints were filed; 1,000 cases have been investigated.
- 330 individuals remain missing; survival chances are extremely low.
- Evidence links high-level government officials to enforced disappearances.
- Commission examines Indian prison records to trace missing individuals.
- Arrest warrants for 12 officials remain unexecuted; trials may proceed in absentia.
The Commission of Inquiry on Enforced Disappearances stated today that there is little chance of survival for the 330 individuals still missing in Bangladesh. At a press conference in Dhaka, Commission Chairperson Justice Moinul Islam Chowdhury said, “There is little chance of those, who are disappeared and still missing, being alive.”
The commission has received 1,752 complaints regarding enforced disappearances and has investigated 1,000 cases so far. Justice Chowdhury revealed that evidence suggests high-level government officials were involved in these incidents.
Investigating Bangladeshis in Indian Prisons
To locate the missing individuals, the commission is reviewing records from India. A list of 1,067 Bangladeshis incarcerated in Indian prisons over the past two to two-and-a-half years has been obtained. Officials are now checking if any of these individuals were victims of enforced disappearances.
Additionally, the commission received information about 140 individuals pushed into Bangladesh from India since August 5, 2024. However, an initial investigation did not reveal any links to enforced disappearances among them.
Top Officials Linked to Enforced Disappearances
Justice Chowdhury confirmed that the commission found solid evidence linking top officials of the previous government to enforced disappearances. He specifically named former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her defense adviser, Tareque Siddiqui, for ordering these disappearances. This revelation adds more weight to the ongoing investigation.
Meanwhile, the commission also spoke with 45 members of law enforcement and intelligence agencies. Their testimonies suggest that many officers followed direct orders from senior officials to carry out these disappearances. This pattern of command further exposes how deeply involved the leadership was in these operations.
At the same time, investigators are looking into the destruction of evidence at the Joint Interrogation Cell, hosted by the DGFI, after August 5. They believe this cover-up was an attempt to erase crucial proof. Identifying those responsible remains a top priority, as the missing evidence could reveal even more about these crimes.
On another note, Justice Chowdhury addressed the issue of 12 former officials, including ex-DGFI heads, who have arrest warrants against them. However, none of them have been detained yet. He made it clear that, “If they can’t be arrested, they will be tried in absentia.”
Officials Still Aiding Fugitives, Says Researcher
Researcher Nabila Idris pointed out that some officials are still helping former high-ranking figures escape. She explained, “Officers have told us that they acted on orders from high-ups in the previous government.” However, things have changed, and the current administration now has the duty to investigate and bring justice to the victims.
She further stressed that those helping generals flee can no longer blame their superiors. Instead, they are making personal choices that continue the cycle of crime. “This is your individual responsibility,” she added. She urged officials to step back, rethink their actions, and stop aiding fugitives before facing serious consequences.
The commission’s findings make it clear that Bangladesh urgently needs accountability. Right now, investigators are digging deeper to uncover the truth and bring justice to the victims. Authorities are determined to track down those responsible and put an end to these crimes once and for all.